Wednesday, March 18, 2015

The End is Not Near, the End is Here



After that day, after Louis pushed me through the portal and shut those horrors from this world, I promised I would never speak of what I experienced that day. Who would have believed anyway? I kept that oath for almost thirty years. Then Louis knocked on my door.
I recognized him immediately even as my cancerous and dying flesh reflected alien in his eyes. He looked the same as he did the day before we made that mistake. I fell to my knees hugging his legs and kissing his jeans. In the same muddy voice I dreamt of, he asked me to stand and could we step inside; I rose quickly and let him in shutting the door behind him. He stood just inside our home looking anxiously around. How the world had changed. I reached for him and kissed his lips. He returned the kiss with the same passion I longed for but as I kissed on his bottom lip the meat fell off into my mouth. I opened my eyes looking straight into his gums and teeth as his lips where gone. I spat his lip from my mouth and once more fell to the floor holding my stomach as it evicted all of its contents on the floor.
I looked up at him. With a wave of his hand across his face his lips reappeared as if nothing occurred. “I apologize. I should have warned you. I no longer have the power to control much here. Time has been more than cruel to me.” I wiped my mouth with the back of my hand and stood again on weakened legs. “What do you mean? It’s all over isn’t it? If you’re here it means it’s all over.” Louis looked down then turned away from me. “I thought I could win. I thought I was doing a brave thing. That day, after the hell we went through, I thought I could finish it.” I walked over and stood in front of him. “You did. You saved me. You saved us all. If you hadn’t stayed behind and guarded that gate who knows what they would have let loose in this world.” He raised his eyes to me. “You don’t understand do you? If I’m not there watching the portal, who is?” Surprisingly, I felt no fear or apprehension. No nervousness. I had him and that meant all. “It’s ok we’re together now Louis. How long do we have?” I watched the trail of steam as a tear rolled down his face and pulled his face to mine and gently kissed the tear away. I felt his heat. Smelled my own burning flesh.



“I just wanted to see you, to hold you again. I’m sorry. I’m so sorry. I . . .” I stopped him. “You have nothing to apologize about. I’ve regretted every moment since I let you push me out. We’re together now and that means all to me. I don’t care what happens to this world or to me as long as you are with me.” I could hear the screams of the people outside. I felt the ground shake as buildings tumbled and the giants set foot on our world. I kissed him again. I held on as tightly as I could. His flesh fell off again but this time I swallowed because I knew that would be the only way I could feel him inside me again. And I was happy. For the first time in so many years I was happy. Louis gave himself to me as he always had. He burned inside of me. My insides giving way to his fire but I continued. I loved him that much. He protected us for as long as he could. Hiding us from their minds and nostrils. Until I left nothing of him.

When the marauders broke through my door, with their oval heads and eyeless faces and mouths on their hands, they found no trace of the Louis they hungered for. I put up no fight for I would die happy and I would die with him. To hell with this world.



Copyright 2010 Salvador Cordova

No comments: